Mariko Kusumoto received her BFA in Painting and Printmaking from Musashino Art College in Tokyo, Japan and her MFA in Printmaking from Academy of Art College in San Francisco, CA. Her acclaimed one-person traveling exhibition “Unfolding Stories” in 2010 was shown at the Fuller Craft Museum, MA, the Morikami Museum, FL, the Racine Art Museum, WI and the Society for Contemporary Craft, PA. In 2007, “Mariko Kusumoto: Metal Box Sculptures” was named one of the “ten best exhibitions of the year” by the Boston Globe. Kusumoto’s work has appeared in numerous publications including the cover story of Metalsmith Magazine in 2008.
My work reflects various, observable phenomena that stimulate my mind and senses; they can be natural or man-made. I ‘reorganize’ them into a new presentation that can be described as surreal, amusing, graceful, or unexpected. A playful, happy atmosphere pervades my work. I always like to leave some space for the viewer’s imagination; I hope the viewer experiences discovery, surprise, and wonder through my work.
My metalwork incorporates found, representational imagery and is very involved and technically challenging. My recent fabric pieces have developed with much experimentation and demonstrate an evolution from the properties of metal to something completely opposite. During the experimental process there is sometimes a breathtaking moment; I ‘catch’ those moments and develop ideas from that point. I like the softness, gentle texture, and atmospheric (e.g., translucent) quality of the fabrics I use. In all of my work there is always the insistence on skill and craftsmanship.
- American Craft Magazine – April/May 2015, cover feature, “Objects of Wonder” (pdf 2.7mb)
- Fiber Art Now Magazine – Summer 2014 Volume 3 Issue 4, cover feature, “Exploring Weightlessness” (pdf 2.5mb)
- Metalsmith Magazine – 2008 Volume 28 Number 2, cover feature, “Cicada Larvae Dreams and Other Stories” (pdf 6.9mb)
- Fiber Art Now Magazine – Winter 2015/16, Excellence in Fibers: A Juried Exhibition in Print, page 24 (pdf 174kb)
- Metalsmith Magazine – 2015 Volume 35 Number 4, Exhibition in Print, page 48-49 (pdf 197kb)
- dpi Magazine – 2015 Number 196, page 46-49 (pdf 353kb)
- The Koch Collection, Switzerland
- Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens, Delray Beach, FL
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA
- Racine Art Museum, Racine, WI
- Numerous private collections throughout the United States